Thursday, 22 November 2012

Boredom



I have nothing to do so I get bored. At other times I have too much to do so I get anxious; I miss being bored. But the worst is being bored and then being over worked in a short span of time. Now I have no time to appreciate how much better off I was while I was bored. After a certain amount of boredom one takes action against it. One combats boredom with some exit strategy. But it must have time to reach that point.

Another example. Yo are heading to sleep and you fight it, thinking, I will just put out the garbage and then go to sleep.  But it does not happen. You are now awake. What has happened?

Tired waves come and go. We have to wait for the next wave to strike. It is of no value to tell yourself I will go to sleep, I will lay down and soon I will be asleep.  It is not your choice to make.  So imagine a whole evening of these shifts, you fight the sleep for a minute and are awake for a half hour.

The problem it there is a source of anxiety that you cannot predict. You relax and your mind goes trough its wind-down routine. It asks is the garbage out, is the cat outside, is the alarm set?  so all these tests are sent through and is they are satisfied, you can stay in the slumber-buggy.

But I have an anxiety about resting while on the job and falling to sleep. Were I to actually fall asleep I might comence to snore. That would be very embarrassing  If it finished by one of the many bosses hovering over me to wake me. So I have a natural defence. I can get bored, I can disrupt my boredom. It is all good. I do not have to perform clinical studies into the relationship between boredom and anxiety, I just do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment